Wearing a fuchsia lip is not for the faint hearted. I mean unlike the classic, old Hollywood qualities of the red pout, one must tread carefully when treading in fuchsia waters. Or, one can look like someone’s crazy old aunt (even if you are someone’s crazy “old” aunt – ahem). But there are occasions and outfits that literally beg for the raspberry hued lip. For instance: when I attended the Prince concert 2 years ago (best concert of my liiiife) and wore Bobbi Brown’s Cosmic Raspberry. Hello, THE PERFECT shade of fuchsia lipstick! And Kat Jade whose makeup I did on The Voice semi-finals; the delishy raspberry toned M.A.C Retro Matte in All Fired Up really was perfect against her porcelain skin and glittered eyes. Following suit, I could not deny Chanel Nine’s weather reporter, the lovely Natalia Cooper, the chance to shine in Shanghai Suzy’s Miss Melissa Hot Pink lipstick– needless to say her simple black Karen Gee dress and purple Lovisa necklace begged for some fuchsia pink loving.
So how can you rock the fushia pink pout? Here are some tips to pave the way:
– Ensure that your skin is sporting a good foundation that covers redness and other flaws. Pink hued lips can highlight redness and blotchy skin, so don’t be shy with coverage.
– Allow the hot pink pout to be the hero; keep eye make-up simple.
– Ditto to Blush – don’t forgo blush especially if you are over 40 (totes essential to fake that youthful tinge to the cheeks) but go easy on vibrancy. Soft pinky, rosey or apricot hues are best.
– Choose matte or cream lipsticks rather than the glossies for a more sophisticated look.
– Always carry your fuchsia friend for the essential touch up.
– Do watch those teeth – raspberry coloured lipstick on the teeth will make you look like an old boozehound even if it’s only 10am (especially if it’s 10am).
– Wear it with discretion. Fuchsia is not an everyday colour, unless you’re Dame Edna Everage, but more of a special occasion colour. When it’s the right time with the perfect outfit – don’t fight the feeling. Get your fuchsia pink lip on. And wear it with pride.
Have a great weekend!